Dr. Haughey’s Summer 2017 MES Newsletter
Summer is a busy time here at Millville Elementary School!
Summer Hours: Our custodial staff is working diligently to prepare the building for the new school year and lots of cleaning is ongoing throughout the summer. As a result, the school is open Monday -Thursday (7:30am – 3:30) & Fridays (7:30am – 12noon).
Personnel Changes: As a result of personnel chasing their personal and professional goals, we have had a number of changes to our services and supports as we prepare for the fall of 2017 and a new school year! To date, here is what changes have happened.
A. Comings and Goings…
· Alison Landry recently took a position with the Millbury Public Schools. Replacing her will be Ms. Alexandria Tullock, a recent graduate of Westfield State, and a member of our BMRSD Extended School Year Program since 2015.
· Melissa Morgan has left our school and has been replaced by Mrs. Janine Davia as our Special Education Inclusion Teacher (Grades K/1).
· Hillary Carr has moved to the Metro West Region of Massachusetts. As a result, she has taken a position with the Framingham Public Schools. Taking the Grade 2 position here at Millville Elementary School is Mrs. Maria Olbrys.
B. Kindergarten: As a result of Mrs. Davia and Mrs. Olbrys taking these two positions within our school, we have completed the hiring process and are proud to introduce their replacements for fall at the kindergarten level.
· First, Mrs. Stephanie Kerwin comes to us with years of experience at the kindergarten level. She earned her Master of Education degree from Lesley University in 2016; and has been teaching at the kindergarten level since 2007.
· Next, please join me in welcoming Mrs. Joann Potter, who will take over Mrs. Davia’s position in kindergarten. Joann comes to us from Milford Catholic and has served at the kindergarten level for more than 25 years. She most recently completed a graduate course in social/emotional learning at Assumption College and joins our faculty with the highest accolades from colleagues, parents/families and the like from all around the region.
C. Preschool: Most recently, Mrs. Jillien Anderson let us know that she would be taking a maternity leave in late September/Early fall. As a result, we have hired Mrs. Carol Pilibosian, a long-time educator of young people at Millville Elementary, to a Long-Term Substitute position to support the students in the preschool during Mrs. Anderson’s leave.
D. Library/Media Center: Mrs. Karen Hughes has decided to retire from Millville Elementary after more than twenty two years of dedicated service to our school. The hiring process is ongoing at the time of this publication. However, I ask that you please join me in thanking Mrs. Hughes for her service to all of us here at MES; and congratulate her on a job well done - as she takes the next steps in life’s journey with family and friends.
News you can Use… MES Positive Behavioral Intervention Supports (PBIS): I am including a brochure with information for you to review regarding the work Our Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) team completed this past academic year. In brief, we selected our three school values of “Respect, Responsibility and Ready to Learn.” We also worked together to outline what each of these values “look” like and will provide you with information throughout the coming year ahead regarding these core values. Please remind the students that these values need to be implemented every day. As an elementary school, we will model these values each day during Morning announcements, Open Circle lessons (Grades K-5), and within our standards-based curriculum.
Beginning July 7th, 2017 - August 18th, 2017, The Millville Elementary School 2017 Summer Reading Lists for Grades K-5 can be picked up in the main office Monday - Thursday (7:30am - 3:30pm) & Fridays (7:30am - 12Noon)
Supply Lists for fall 2017
The Millville Elementary School Supply Lists for Grades K-5 are posted on our website and can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the page at: http://www.bmrsd.net/millville_home.aspx
Parents are encouraged to join our School Council for this coming year ahead to provide input into the future of our school in its efforts to continuously improve in all aspects of educating our students. For more information regarding our School Council, please email me at email@example.com.
MESPA: Year of the Volunteer!
In the year ahead, our Millville Elementary School Parent Association is actively looking for volunteers to join our active parent group to support the many after-school activities put on by MESPA. For more information on these exciting opportunities with MESPA, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to volunteer your time with us, please make sure that your CORI is up to date when you volunteer in school. Our administrative assistant, Mrs. O’Neil, has the CORI approved volunteer list.
As always, on behalf of all us at Millville Elementary, I want to thank you for your continued support of our educational programming and services. Without you, Millville Elementary would not be the special place it is in all of our hearts.
Have a fantastic conclusion to your summer months – resting and relaxing with family and friends!
Paul S, Haughey, Ed.D.
Principal – Promoting a Culture of Excellence at
Millville Elementary School