English language Arts
Language, Reading and Literature, Composition, Media
- Communicating clearly in shared group discussions
- Performing plays, stories, and poems for an audience
- Decoding and learning new words.
- Identifying base words and suffixes, (jump, jumps, jumping)
- Nouns and verbs
- Using correct capitalization and punctuation
- Identifying formal and informal language and writing styles of different authors
- Comprehending using a variety of skills: prediction, main idea and details, text connections, cause and effect, compare and contrast, story elements and text organization.
- Identifying various forms of literature (genre): plays, poetry, informational, and fiction
- Identifying characters, setting and plot in stories
- Writing complete sentences with correct capitalization, spelling and grammar
- Writing using various forms: stories, short poems, personal narrative
- Researching to gain information
- Evaluating, editing and revising their own work
- Printing legibly
History and Social Science
Locating continents, oceans, 5 major rivers and mountain ranges on maps and globes
- Effects of past, present and future
- Characteristics of a good citizen in a community
- The characteristics of a consumer and a producer
- Goods, services, needs and wants
Science and Technology Engineering
Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science
- Life cycles of plants and animals
- Habitats of animals in the desert, ocean, forest
- States of matter (solid, liquid, gas)
Number Sense, Patterns and Relations, Geometry and Measurement, Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability
- Place value to 1,000
- Reading and writing numbers to 1,000
- The value of a collection of coins and bills
- Addition and subtraction facts to 20
- Adding and subtracting with regrouping
- Choosing strategies to solve number stories
- Fractions ( ½, ¼,)
- Attributes of 2 and 3 dimensional shapes
- Tell time to the quarter hour
- Customary and metric measurement ( e.g. foot, pound, centimeter)
- Using symbols ( >, <, +, = ) to solve problems
- Collecting, recording, interpreting data using tables and graphs
- Creating, describing and extending patterns (45, 50, 55)
- Developing probability skills
- Developing estimation skills
Physical Education/Health and Wellness
Previous skills introduced will allow all students to strengthen basic movement skills. A variety of games and materials will be introduced to all students to enable them to develop strong manipulative skills. Instruction on good physical habits will be taught.
Students continue to learn good health habits. Instruction is given to all students to help them better understand emotion and feelings, how to get along with family and friends, and the dangers of alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse. Instruction on safety and injury prevention continues.
All students will be introduced to varied rhythm, strong and weak beats, through partner songs and rounds. The study of cultural backgrounds is enhanced while music terminology is given.
Basic elements of design will include 2 and 3 dimensional shapes. Use of varied media will include textiles and plasticene. Additional artists will be introduced and art will be integrated to other academic areas.
Students will expand their knowledge of genre, non-fiction, fiction, biographies and mysteries. They also learn all parts of a book, cover, title page, and table of contents while continuing to study various grade level authors and illustrators.