Goals and Expectations | Open Response Questions | BMR Scoring Guide | Detention | General Standards
Streamlined Steps for Answering Open Response Questions
1. Read the question carefully!
2. Take a position on the question and come up with a plan/outline.
3. Do some pre-writing, listing as many ideas, thoughts, and concepts as you can to help answer the question.
4. Construct a thesis statement by:
A. Restating the question
B. Placing three (3) to five (5) thesis topics in your statement.
(These items should come from your pre-writing list.)
5. Write about each topin in order. Use facts, examples, and analysis to prove each part of your thesis!
6. Conclude your essay by restating your thesis statement.
7. Re-read your essay to be sure you have answered all parts of the question.
8. Proofread your essay for orginization and mechanical errors.
9. Re-write your essay