Keep Your Counselor Informed:
Counselors have specialized information related to specific colleges or scholarships. The information cannot be passed along if your plans are kept to yourself.
Read Directions Carefully:
Keep a checklist and notes on your progress. Applications can take much longer than expected. Give yourself adequate time to complete all the tasks.
Be Aware of Deadlines:
Since requirements and schedules vary so widely, it is important to keep track of each college and/or scholarship’s requirements, deadlines, and special procedures. Take note that college applications, financial aid, and scholarship deadlines are usually not the same.
Your counselor can provide:
- Interest and encouragement.
- Instruction in BMR application procedures.
- Help with online tools used in the process.
- Straight forward answers and suggestions.
- Time for discussion and feedback assistance in filling out applications as needed.
Your counselor cannot:
- Read your mind
- Make choices for you
- Tell you all you need to know
- Make all appointments for you
What your counselor expects of you:
- To be organized
- Develop an application strategy early
- Take responsibility for your choices
- Understand that information is gathered from many sources. Do not expect to find all you need to know in one place
- Maintain communication with your counselor
- Read application instructions carefully and completely
- Make appointments when you have questions
- Use Naviance
College Application Package
A college application usually has many parts:
- High School Transcript
- 1st quarter senior grades
- Teacher, counselor and/or other recommendations
- Rank-in-class and GPA
- College admission testing scores
- Application Fee
- Blackstone-Millville Regional High School – School Profile
For a downloadable copy of this page click on the link below.
Helpful Hints to Get Started